11 February 2016

11 February 2016: Arrivederci 345 South Anita Avenue!

 
 
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.
- "Closing Time" by Semisonic
 
Escrow closed on our Brentwood house today. I expected I'd be throwing a party the moment the wire transfer hit the bank account as it's one more thing to check off the list. Instead, as I congratulated the new owners (we're leasing the house back from them for the next three weeks), I felt like I was going to cry.
 
 
Of course I feel very fortunate that our houses sold the way they did, allowing us to embark on this Italian adventure. But I'm still sad. We bought this house in 2004 and I have lived here longer than any other place in my adult life (even if you discount the three years I lived in my condo down the street). I've loved my life here, despite all of the ups and downs. We've had so many amazing memories. So many great neighbors. Seven dogs...and a fish.
 
Some of my favorites:
 
 
Over-the-fence happy hours with the Stumans/Michels. Holidays and life events experienced with them...our extended family.


And then there was Jessica Biel ....getting snagged with my sister Megan, unshowered and eating Flamin' Hot Cheetos and drinking Coke/Diet Coke first thing in the morning, in the driveway, when Jessie stopped by on her way out with her pitbull Tina. (She, of course, looked stunning.) Oh...and our old blind dog Gus once peed on Justin Timberlake's car. NB: Jessica and Justin got married in Puglia. Perhaps one day they'll visit for an anniversary and we'll have a reunion. :)


Multiple bottles of Veuve Clicquot by the pool (Megan).
 
 
And the list goes on...
 
 
Yes, I will really miss this house and Anita Ave. But everything is changing. People have left. They are tearing down the charming older houses to build more mansions. I don't know if there will be block parties anymore. So I guess we will have to change too.
 
 
This was a really good chapter!
 
 




 
Note:  This was taken years ago. Fred lives in a much bigger tank these days.
 


 


1 comment:

  1. When you sell a home, it's bittersweet. There is a part of you that wants to keep the house and a part that is happy to let go to begin a new chapter. Now, you get to explore a world of new opportunities while making memories that will last longer than a home.

    ReplyDelete