28 January 2016

OMG! We Need a Car!

At some point along the way it dawned on us (not sure if it was Craig or me for whom this clicked) that we would be arriving to Puglia in March and we wouldn't have a car.  I got rid of my leased BMW back in November, and Craig's classic cars would be shipped at the last minute before our departure and not be delivered to Fasano until many weeks after our arrival.

So....how do you buy a car in Italy when you live in Los Angeles?  Fortunately for us our new friend Franco is the kindest and most helpful man in all of Italy. Seriously. He contacted a Fiat dealership on our behalf and as of today, after many emails (all in Italian) back and forth with Franco and Sig. Pizzileo at Autosat, I have a deposit on a Fiat 500L Automatica (Grigio Moda) similar to the picture below. 

Now what will actually happen when we arrive?  Not sure.  But I am hoping that getting the car from the dealership in Brindisi goes smoothly.  What does worry me a little bit is the last part of Franco's recent email to me assuring me that the car would be mine, however "al vostro arrivo in puglia dovrete chiedere la residenza al comune di Fasano". My interpretation? Upon my arrival to Puglia I will need to apply for residence at the town hall in Fasano. Yikes!  So to get my car I have to apply for residence.  To get healthcare, I need to apply for residence. For our household goods to clear customs duty free, we have to apply for residence. If they do not approve our application for residence?  I do not know.  I might have to create a whole different blog to tell that story.

I continue to hope for the best.  Franco says he has friends at the Comune.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment