23 March 2016

My New Normal


I was thinking earlier today how my life in Brentwood seems like ages ago, after less than three weeks of living here in Puglia.  It's very strange how quickly things change. And while I fully acknowledge that I have tons to learn about the culture and language of my new home, certain things have already become my new “normal”.  A few examples...

1)    My world is now full of people named Franco, Francesco, Leonardo, Mimmo, Giovanni, Roberta, Grazia, Donna Maria, etc. Not another Tracey or Craig in sight.
 
2)    A few months ago I didn’t know what a “codice fiscale” was. Now I don’t leave home without mine. (Closest analogy in the US would be a social security card).  You need your codice fiscale to do just about everything here. 

3)      I have learned how to send money from my Banco di Napoli account to pay for goods and services in Italy. I have learned how to use an “O-Key” for online banking.  You need this for every transaction. I have made three “bonifici” (wire transfers) today alone.
 
 

4)      For the last 7 years while living in the US I attempted to learn Italian.  I took formal classes, used Rosetta Stone, etc.  But I was always reluctant to test my skills for fear of making mistakes and sounding stupid.  So I didn't even try. Ha! Guess what?  I have now been thrown in the deep end.  And it’s fine.  I am sure I am butchering this beautiful language, but I am managing. So I continue to speak Italian. And I hope someday I can say I speak Italian well.

5)      I’m not watching television. Well, that’s not exactly true. I have watched a good bit of Fox Sports coverage of the Barclay’s Premier League and Serie A.  And I do have my Modern Family binges. But I haven’t had one meal in front of the TV.  For me this is a good thing.  I hope it continues.

6)      I have embraced the fresh food vs. fully stocked freezer and pantry approach to cooking. After an excursion yesterday to find a mailbox (Craig was told by the police during the residency visit that we have to have a new mailbox with the name Kleber on it), I popped into a little vegetable stand in Fasano.  €4 later, I walked out with a bunch of bananas, two eggplants, and a basil plant.  I am going to combine the eggplant with the zucchine, tomatoes, and peppers that we bought in Ostuni this week to make ratatouille (served over the organic cous cous I bought at my fave bottega naturale, Soleterra).  Oh….sidenote….we also stumbled on a wine shop today in Ostuni that has huge vats of wine with hoses protruding from them.  You better believe we’ll be back with our 3/5 litre jugs to get them filled very soon.  (They also have bottles and lovely little gift packs with olive oil and orrechiette pasta that I intend to use for guests who rent Villa di Capo.)
 

 
7)      It's not easy, but I am learning to slow down...despite the flurry of activity that confronted us during our first few weeks. I guess this is the proverbial stopping to smell the roses. It's not just a function of being in Italy, but a function of leaving behind my manic work life. It's nice to have a drink or a tea/coffee or a chat with a neighbor. And for a change feel no compulsion to rush off to a conference call. That is a very happy feeling.
 
8)    I have experienced a change in the way relationships develop.  They seem more organic.  Perhaps this is born out of necessity and/or a sense of community. Not sure. But I like it. People enter your life in ways they did not in LA.  As an example, one morning last week a gentleman named Graham popped by to introduce himself as he was on his way to check in on our neighbor's rental property.  He and his partner Chris run a business that provides pool maintenance and rental property management (amongst other things) in the Region. It was delightful to meet him and now  "Puglia Pools" has turned into our best ally for all things as we get Villa di Capo ready for the rental season. I can only imagine how I would have searched to connect with a vendor at this level in California.

9)      The dogs are loving their new normal. And I am so proud of the way they have adjusted to life here. Here are some shots of them in their new digs.  (Going on record, however, to say that they still haven't found neighbors as good as Meredith and Grady Abber.) 
Lizzie and Natalia survey their new garden.
Big sister. Little brother.


Luigi sits in the sun under his favorite lemon tree.

Lizzie strikes a pose.
Mario has decided he likes radiator heat.


Tiny dog.  Big garden.  This is where the pool will be built.
 
And finally, this is not new, but it is for sure my normal.  Salute!
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment