04 April 2016

Venti Forti and Other Miscellaneous Thoughts


If I hadn’t known what “venti forti” meant before I moved to Puglia, I would surely have learned it in the first few weeks.  “Venti forti“ means “strong winds”.  And we’ve had more than our fair share since arriving to the villa on the hill.  Puglia is subject to both the mistral and scirocco winds, hitting the peninsula from both directions.  And they definitely impact how you spend your days, which coast you visit at any given time, etc.  (A good thing for windsurfers and kite surfers!)

I was thinking over the past few days that dealing with a strong wind is a lot like facing a new challenge in life…like moving to a new country or making any other major change.  You can decide to continually head into the bluster and fight it, or you can turn so that the wind is at your back…letting it carry you forward. I’ve decided that I am going to, for as long as I live here, view the wind as being at my back….

Just for fun here are a few of the latest developments in life during my first month in Puglia.

My Closet Dilemma: Problem Solved (Mostly)
I bought my flat knowing full well that I wouldn’t have any closets.  So turning the third bedroom into a laundry/dressing room was, I thought, a very strategic plan. But, as I have mentioned previously, despite my best attempts at spatial planning I was still having challenges.  Four armoires later, I managed to squeeze all of my hanging clothes into place.  But I still had shoes, shoes, shoes and bags, bags, bags, everywhere.

With the arrival last weekend of my adorable Fiat 500L, however, I was able to make my first trip to IKEA in Bari and get some storage solutions.  (Note:  That was the first of what I anticipate will be many trips to IKEA as what is perhaps my favorite food store ever, EATALY, is close by. I am like a kid in a candy store.) After struggling to wrangle my new shoe racks away from a man who was trying to “help” me and get them into my car, I raced home and begged my ex-husband to help me with the assembly. 30 minutes later….Voila!  I have my shoes organized.  Mostly.  I am happy.  And I managed to get most of my bags off the floor.  And my folding clothes are folded on shelves and in dresser drawers.  Whew!  I see the light.

** I should also note that there are donation bins for clothing, shoes, bags, etc. in multiple locations in every town in this area.  About time to do another re-think on my possessions.**



Bags
Shoes
Eataly in Bari...three kinds of quinoa, lentils and all kinds of good veggie stuff
Beans, olives and more olives!


Lots of wine
 
Washing/Drying/Dishwashing…Changing Perspectives on Scale

When I embarked on this renovation project, I decided that my must-haves would include a washer, a dryer and a dishwasher.  And I got them. All shiny and new.  And small.  Actually they're probably not that small. I realize it's all relative.  They are only small when viewed through my suburban America lens.  (I'm sure if I had ever lived in New York City, the size of European appliances would be normal for me.)
So I am adapting. I wash two or three pairs of jeans and some t-shirts. Not five or six pairs. I wash my California king fleece bed sheets in two loads. I patiently await the much longer wash and dry cycles.  And you know what?  My appliances do just fine.  They are energy-efficient. My clothes are clean.  And dry. I hand wash more dishes. (Some of my bigger dinner plates do not fit in the new dishwasher.) I am finding it therapeutic. And I will invest in more hand lotions.  

 

Water and Gas

When we purchased this villa neither Craig nor I thought to ask where our water and gas came from.  It’s hard to believe this looking back, because utilities were an issue with a lot of properties as we did our search around Italy. 

So what have we learned?

We get our water delivered.  In a big truck.  A big truck that arrives and fills our water tank (a real water tank, not to be confused with pools that are registered as “water tanks”).  Every three weeks or so we have to call the water supplier and have him visit. I am waiting for the day when we forget and our water tank runs dry. 

Our gas?  Also delivered.  In another big truck.  Again, we need to order the gas.  Or we have no heat.  Or hot water.  Our fancy new “caldaie” will not work without gas.
 
Car Insurance and GPS
My good friend, who is from Rome, learned of my dilemma trying to find reasonably-priced car insurance as a new car owner in Italy.  Not easy. It turns out his brother has a very good friend who works for Allianz in Rome.  A few phone calls later....I am getting car insurance at the "friends and family" rate with a free GPS unit installed. I am so incredibly grateful.
So last Friday I find myself at Elettrauto Muolo in Fasano getting my new GPS unit installed. It will provide me with emergency assistance and traceability of my car should it go "missing".  The garage is small.  And yet these guys manage to work on three cars at a time.  Their spatial relations abilities are much better than my own.  During the hour while they do the installation I wander around the neighborhood amazed by the little pieces of creativity I see all around me...like the use of broken vases and stone.  Puglia has so many layers and I love uncovering them.

 
 
 




New Discoveries

During my house hunting visits to Puglia, I spent a fair amount of time driving around this area, hoping to get a feel for what life would be like here. I visited Ostuni, Alberobello, Cisternino, Savelletri, Lecce, etc. Two of the towns I missed, however, were Martina Franca and Locorotondo.  Here are some pics of these two lovely towns I have discovered since arriving.

Approaching Locorotondo
View from the town
 
Drinks

 
 
Martina Franca
Martina Franca
 
 
Gelato in Martina Franca (I didn't stop, but it was tempting.)
 
Call me silly, but I am very excited about finding a kebab shop in Martina Franca that does falafel in a pita!
 
There is still much of Puglia to explore.  And I am thrilled because with every new discovery I get more excited about my new home.  And about sharing it with everyone.  Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment