18 April 2016

Il Veterinario And The Referendum




Un Viaggio Al Veterinario

One of the biggest concerns I had about moving to a new country, particularly one where my language skills are basic at best, was my ability to access healthcare.  Not only for myself, but for the animals.  After years of having consistently good care from both our people doctors and our veterinarians at Malibu Coast Animal Hospital, our bar was set pretty high. And I wasn’t really sure what to expect. So…after six weeks of living in Italy:

I1)  have yet to see a doctor.  And I’m running out of medicine.  I don’t have resident status yet so I can’t access the public health system.  Fortunately, private healthcare here costs a fraction of what it does in the US and in the short term I do, thankfully, have that option. Must do something about this soon. (NB: In a recent Bloomberg study, Italy ranked second healthiest country in the world. I think it has as much to do with the lifestyle as it does the healthcare. I’m actually counting on olive oil and wine more than conventional medicine.)

2) The dogs, of course, officially have their new veterinarian.  He is in Martina Franca and his name is Dott. Pietro Palmisano (seems that Palmisano is a very popular name in Puglia). We were introduced by our new friend Graham, who agreed to accompany us to our first visit. We loaded all four dogs into crates and into the car and ventured out for their meet and greet. And then a second visit to get their leishmaniasis tests (very serious and prevalent disease in Southern Italy).  Here’s how it went:

Natalia:  DISASTER. She needed a rabies vaccine on her first visit as well as her blood test on the second visit.  If there is a stronger 20-lb dog in the world, I would be surprised. She is not a good ambassador for American dogs. However, with the help of some strong arms and a muzzle we got her through it. Twice. Good thing she’s so pretty. J

Elisabetta (Lizzie):  SUPERSTAR!  As usual our little fuzzy wuzzy one-eyed wonder dog was a trooper. 

Mario:  GETS A PASSING GRADE. He grizzled and grumbled the whole time he had the tourniquet on his arm.  But no bites. Whew!

Luigi:  DRAMA QUEEN.  I have often said that Luigi is the reincarnation of our first dog, Creature…or at least he channels his sprit occasionally.  This is exactly how Creature would have handled himself (except when he was with Dr. Lisa, who had a special relationship with him.) Despite the yelps and squirms, he survived his test.

Fortunately, and not surprisingly since leishmaniasis not an issue in CA, their tests all came back negative, and we will start them on treatments to prevent the diseases that are a new threat to us living here in Puglia. And each of the dogs now his/her own “Libretto Sanitario”. How fancy is that?

I should mention here that the cost of the four leishmaniasis tests was EUR 120. We, of course, left the house with no cash. Dott. Palimisano’s response when we offered to run to a Bancomat?  “Non ti preoccupi”. Don’t worry.  You can pay me whenever. (I went back the next day as I don’t do well leaving things hanging.) But the gesture?  Much appreciated.

P.S. It makes me smile every time someone here says to me “calma”, “tranquilla”, “non ti preoccupi”.  Anyone who knows me will recognize that a good dose of calm/tranquil is what I needed and probably a big part of why I chose to come to Southern Italy.  But it is taking a while to sink in.

The Drilling Referendum

I am sure for many people reading this blog yesterday’s drilling referendum in Italy won’t have even hit your radar.  But as a resident of Italy and a rabid conservationist, I found it to be a pretty big deal. 

Despite significant protestations from Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, the Italian people were presented with a referendum that focused on whether Italy should stop renewing offshore drilling licenses within 12 miles (20 km) of the coast. New drilling concessions are no longer being handed out, but the government says old agreements should be kept in play. In order for the ballot to be valid, over 50 percent of the voting population had to participate.  The government leaders encouraged people to stay home.  Sadly, a quorum was not reached, with only 30 percent turnout, and the measure defeated.

I was saddened to hear this, not just because I believe in what the referendum stood for, but because so many of the people here in Puglia with whom I have interacted were passionately in favor.  I am disappointed on behalf of my new neighbors. (Our waiter in a little restaurant in Locorotondo yesterday told us how important for the whole world this referendum would be.)

One thing that I find incredibly attractive about Puglia is the pride of the people.  And their approach to protecting the land and the culture.  I hope next time there is a vote they (we) win!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment